The good people over at T.R.O.Y. (http://philaflava.blogspot.com/) really keep me on toes searching through the Timberland boxes in my basement full of tapes. A few of them posted some Last Emperor demo tracks on their forum and I decided to add a few more unheard demo tracks and freestyles to the mix along with some old favorites. I dubbed all of the demo tracks straight from Jamal’s own tapes back in 1995 and 1996 so they are fairly decent quality. I will continue looking for another tape with his tracks that may contain a few gems. In the meanwhile, please send me your opinion of these tracks.
Last Emperor demos and freestyles 1990 to 1996
1. Yeah – Featuring KRS-One, Young Zee and Channel Live
3. Jungle Cats – I remember him telling me that he wanted Eve to be ‘Cheetara’ on this track since he had met her through Dr. Dre but I guess that didn’t work out.
5. Secret Wars
7. Party Crashers
8. Dis Myself
9. Animalistics – This is the polished version.
10. Heaven – He was kind of upset when he saw Tupac’s video because they had made sort of the same song but Jamal’s version was from 1995, I think.
11. Animalistics – This is the original version with mistakes and no sound effects.
12. Black Magic
13. Mind Over Matter – One of my all time favorites. I like this version much better.
14. Bums – original version
15. Rock the Spot
16. Takin’ Out MC’s – I have no idea who the other MC is on this track but the first time I heard it, I busted out laughing because he’s very clever. Listen closely.
17. Bums (remix) – I call this the Tribe remix version even though someone else did it. I LOVE it!
18. 1992 Freestyle in Kam’s dorm room featuring Kam using Tribe’s “Scenario” remix instrumental.
19. 1993 Freestyle in Kam’s dorm room featuring the 3rd floor Freddy D crew using Malik’s original Tribe like beat that I love.
20. 1993 freestyle in my dorm room using the Radio Shack microphone that only lasted 2 years – this one utilizes a Main Source instrumental.
21. 1993 freestyle in my dorm room – this one also utilizes a Main Source instrumental as well as the Brand Nubian “Concerto in X Minor” remix instrumental.
22. 1993 freestyle in my dorm room – this one utilizes Tribe’s “Scenario” remix instrumental.
23. 1993 accapella freestyle
24. 1996 or 1997 freestyle at the Art Institute featuring my homie Mike pka Agenda (R.I.P.) who passed away in 1999 from cancer – this one utilizes The Root’s “The Lesson Pt. 1” and surprisingly, I brought along a little Roy Ayers to trick Jamal but he rode the vibes like a pro while spitting the beginning “Meditation” lyrics. Mike didn’t fair so well but he tried. By the way, we couldn’t get the studio equipment to work correctly and the engineer wasn’t there on Saturday to help us so you will only hear the sound coming from one speaker.