The Source returned, after the messy departure of some original staff members, with a fairly light (but good) issue. I don’t have much to say about it so I’ll just let you jump right into it while I begin scanning the 1995 issues.
Some highlights from this issue:
– Confirmation of the marriage between R. Kelly and Aaliyah on August 31, 1994 – The way this guy plays with his fate is amazing. He should have gone to prison in ’95 for this.
– Keith Murray with the hip-hop quotable for “The Most Beautifullest Thing in this World”
– Microphone Check with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Saafir
– Digable Planets return a little more revolutionary with Blowout Comb – I don’t think it was ever reviewed by the Source so I’ll give it 4.5 mics for its brilliance. Even though it’s a very moody album, it’s definitely in my top 25 of all time.
– Pete Rock and CL Smooth come back with more great music – …and then break up for whatever reason. Why did they break up anyway? Egos and money?
– Haiti’s struggle continues
– Scarface is ready to retire already?
– Brand Nubian – Everything is Everything (4 mics) – This is one of TC’s all time favorite albums.
– PMD – Shade Business (3 mics)
– Craig Mack – Project: Funk Da World (4 mics)
– Lords of the Underground – Keepers of the Funk (3.5 mics)
– 4-Deep – What’s Really Goin’ On (3.5 mics)
– C-Bo – The Autopsy (3.5 mics)
– Milk – Never Dated (3 mics)
– Society – Yes ‘N’ Deed (3 mics)
December 1994 issue