The February 1994 issue of The Source featured the well debated Wu-Tang Clan Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) review. When the album first dropped, I remember almost the entire college campus branding it a classic on the strength of the singles. The hunger and determination of the group shined through in every lyric, video and movement. However, contrary to the opinion of the majority of my close friends and my girlfriend (who told me in so many words that I was crazy two days ago), I will never consider it a 5 mic classic. I know a lot of people today bow down at the Wu-Tang altar so they’ll immediately think I’m crazy, too. But hey, I can only like what I like and I make no apologies for my individual taste. I’m one of the few people on Earth who firmly believes that The Source got the rating right the first time and that’s a rare occurrence. I will forever view their debut album as a 4.5 (a 4.75, if possible) out of 5. Why? I always have and always will hate the first song (“Bring da Ruckus”) on the album. While every guy in my dorm blasted that song right before playing Madden, I quickly skipped ahead to “Shame on a N****” every time I popped it into the CD player. IMO, “Bring da Ruckus” has always been out of sync or something. If only that one song had been put on the B-side to one of their singles as an unreleased track…
Some other highlights from this issue:
– Akinyele writes a letter to The Source in response to the critics of the song ‘I Luh Huh’
– Tupac is arrested for allegedly shooting police officers in Atlanta
– Timberland doesn’t need money from urban dwellers who buy their boots?
– Kurupt with the hip-hop quotable for “For All My N***** & B******”
– Short interviews with Del and Souls of Mischief
Record Report highlights:
– Snoop Doggy Dogg – Doggystyle (4 mics) – I think they got this rating right, too. Don’t you wholeheartedly agree with me TC???
– Queen Latifah – Black Reign (3.5 mics) – This album dropped at the right time. We need more ladies in hip-hop who say something positive on a song from time to time.
– Ice Cube – Lethal Injection (3.5 mics)
– Domino – Self titled (3.5 mics)
– MC Ren – Shock of the Hour (3.5 mics)
– Wu Tang Clan – Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (4.5 mics)
– Kurious – A Constipated Monkey (3.5 mics)
– Yaggfu Front – Action Packed Adventures (3.5 mics)
February 1994 issue part 1
February 1994 issue part 2