The September 1993 issue of The Source featured Snoop ‘Doggy’ Dogg and Dr. Dre on the cover. I remember the hype surrounding the release of Snoop’s first album after The Chronic took off. Not that Snoop would ever be construed as a lyricist but his voice fit snugly over the Dre (and I think, Daz) beats. I recall going to the record store, during a break from school, to pick up something long forgotten and just as I walked up to the counter, the cashier was opening a large box of brand new Doggystyle CD’s. Needless to say, I scooped it right up. Not surprisingly, I have mixed feelings about Doggystyle and Snoop in my (and his) old age. Back when it first came out, life was all about studying, having fun and hanging out. The constant ‘n*99a’ and ‘b**ch’ references didn’t bother me as much as it bothered my girlfriend at the time who hated Snoop. These days, I don’t even think about the guy and I haven’t played the CD since the 90’s. He has a silly television show and hasn’t made an album worth listening to since the first one. But at the very least, he has found a way to hustle, survive and stay paid in a fickle music buying world.
Note – I had gin and juice a couple of years before the song came out and it was absolutely horrible!
Some other highlights from this issue:
– Chuck D is still suing St. Ides
– Whoot or Whoomp (There It Is)?
– Akinyele with the hip-hop quotable for “Checkmate” – WHY the heck did he change his style and subject matter in subsequent releases?
– K-Solo reportedly makes a deal with Dr. Dre – I have some of his unreleased Death Row recordings on tape, too.
– Tyra Banks makes her fashion model debut
– Baseball players and Jheri curls don’t mix?
– MC Lyte starts her own business
– The Hit Squad goes to England – That must have been a strange tour without Erick Sermon.
Record Report highlights:
– Ultramagnetic MC’s – The Four Horsemen (4 mics)
– Mr. Scarface – The World is Yours (3.5 mics)
– Akinyele – Vagina Diner (3.5 mics) – With Large Professor on the boards, it’s a solid 4 mics in my book.
– Rumpletilskinz – What is a Rumpletilskin? (3.5 mics)
– Cypress Hill – Black Sunday (4 mics) – How is this a 4???
– Fat Joe Da Gangsta – Represent (3.5 mics) – I only bought this to hear the beats but it was very difficult to avoid those nursery school rhymes.
– Pudgee Tha Fat Bastard – Self Titled (3.5 mics)
September ’93 issue