I didn’t buy this magazine for the cover story by any means. What caught my eye was the article on ‘Old School Arcade Games’. I had a monstrous addiction to video games as a youngster. From ’79 to ’90, you couldn’t separate me from video games and pinball. From Asteroids to Punchout to Donkey Kong to Mario Brothers to Ring King to 1942 to Gauntlet, I was a fiend like Rakim. I started working at the supermarket bagging groceries at 6 years old to feed my addiction. And when the supermarket was having a slow day, I stole money from my mom or anyone else with a purse, coin jar, piggy bank or wallet. I can’t tell you how many times my mom whupped (not whipped) my a** for stealing. It got so crazy that one day she violently grabbed me by the arm and showed me her empty purse to make me feel bad. I would take $10 rolls of quarters from her and run to the arcade to play as many games as I could before coming back home. Fortunately, as I got into my teens, I found better paying jobs that allowed me to buy hip-hop albums and waste money in the arcade without stealing. I still see this same addiction among my younger cousins and nephews but fortunately, they have Xbox 360’s and PS3’s to feed it unlike the cheap Atari 2600 and Colecovision that I broke. Even Will Smith (Fresh Prince) had the same addiction: http://www.zshare.net/audio/123130211d7c790e/ and you probably did/do too.
Some other highlights from this issue:
- K.M.D.’s Black Bastards album gets shelved due to controversy
- Check out that graffiti pic from Hawaii with one spray pain can killing the other
- Buckshot with the hip-hop quotable for “Crooklyn”
- Cross Colours goes from black to red
- Microphone Check with Outkast, Freddie Foxxx and M.O.P.
- C. Delores Tucker takes on ‘gangsta’ rap while MC Eiht, Scarface and Spice 1 defend it
Record Report highlights:
- Heavy D – Nuttin But Love (4 mics)
- The Beatnuts – Self titled (3.5 mics)
- South Central Cartel – ‘N Gatz We Truss (3 mics)
- Freddie Foxxx – Crazy Like a Foxxx (3 mics)
- Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Killer Kuts (4.5 mics)
June 1994 issue part 1
June 1994 issue part 2